After reading the article entitled Meet the Agent- Barbara Lowenstein in Writer’s Digest (Feb., 2013), it occurred to me it might be helpful for my blog readers to know more about Mary Laudien, the Middle Grade Author. I decided to follow Kara Gebhart’s simplified format to provide this info to my blog followers (All 3 of you, but I know there are many more of you who were just waiting for an invite to subscribe!). If you seek more detailed information, you can always go to my website: http://www.twocandobooks.com
Who is Mary Laudien?
- a retired innovative educator (Known for successfully transforming the public schools she was principal of into International Baccalaureate World Schools)
- a newly appointed International Baccalaureate Recognition Ambassador (The IB program provides a world class education with its best educational practices.)
- an author with two books in her Frenchie Series published and a third written and ready for publication
Why Does She Write?
- to share her love of Kidlit and promote strong reading and writing skills in schools (her passion)
- to have a blast writing humorous, entertaining Middle Grade books for “tweens” (that even reluctant readers will want to pick up and read)
- to share her novels with kids in schools and libraries as a way to inspire experimentation with powerful blog writing
- to use her knowledge of “tweens” and create contemporary novels that acknowledge this age group (ages 9-13) as fun, interesting, dynamic and developing. It gives kids, parents and grandparents a chance to laugh at themselves and not take family change and themselves quite so seriously (single families, extended families, career moms, latchkey kids, new pets, responsibilities, technology issues, etc.).
Why Write Blog Posts?
- modeling blog writing for Middle Grade Readers. The Frenchie Series have blogs written nightly by Ethan (the 13 year old main character) to all of his Frenchie followers-Frenchie’s Best Friend
- using life experiences and interests and writing entertaining, powerful blogs for others to critique
- helping middle grade readers, educators, parents, librarians and pet lovers to find me
- seeking readers who can enjoy the humor in contemporary life and adore their pets
- helping other writers (students included) in their journey to publication
- other writers
- creating “shabby chic” furniture pieces
- voracious reader
- decorating and fashion
- volunteer work: International Baccalaureate Recognition Ambassador
- Zumba dancing and fitness
- speaking French
- dog sitting my sons’ French Bulldogs – Bert and Cecile
- entertaining friends and family
- living author: Jodi Picoult (provocative examination of social issues that make you think from all perspectives)
- dead authors: Maeve Binchy (humor and strong character voices) and Roald Dahl (humor and imagination)
- city: Paris, France
- TV Shows: The Good Wife, Gray’s Anatomy, Parenthood, HBO’s NewsRoom
- Foods: citric (lime) salad dressings, seafood, Lindt chocolate, nuts, avocados
- hosted a children’s radio show in Lahr, Germany for the children of the Canadian Armed Forces (CFN)
- seconded to the University of Regina to teach in a model demonstration school on campus
- opened the smallest German import store in a Freight Elevator in Regina, Saskatchewan (wooden toys, X’mas decorations and nutcrackers)
- re-opened 2 primary schools in West Vancouver (Eagle Harbor and Cypress Park)
- led West Bay Elementary’s (West Van, B.C.) transformation as principal of the first public school in Western Canada to become an authorized IB World School
- have grand dogs: French Bulldogs (Bert and Cecile) named after Mary’s sons’ French grandparents (Her inspiration for writing the Frenchie series!)
- keeping up technologically with an author platform. One learns so much (which is awesome), but there is always more that can be done. It’s important to make educated choices about what the most effective ways are to reach one’s readers.
If you thought this was interesting or helpful, please don’t hesitate to pass it on to others, leave a comment, subscribe to my blog posts…whatever. I love to write and share some of the wonderful things that I am learning through other books, blogs, tweets, webinars, authors and conferences. Your feedback is valuable to me.
A Five Star Amazon Review for Frenchie X2- Follow the Blog
Amazon.com: 5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews
5.0 out of 5 stars “A Great Story” Jan 20 2013
By NancyofUtah – Published on Amazon.com
Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase
This second book of the Frenchie Series written by Mary Laudien is another fun-packed story. One can only imagine the chaos in the home when two puppies take up residence. From puppy surprises to training classes and other events involving Ethan and his mom, this is another hilarious read. It’s not only a humorous story of family and dogs, it’s all about kids growing up, learning about responsibility, and learning about charity. This story is packed with values for parents and young adults. I enjoyed this well-written story.